The City of Cheney is working hard to provide its citizens with all the information regarding permits and construction requirements. Below are links to zoning codes and city codes that may answer specific questions. A list of frequently asked questions are provided below to offer general guidelines for the city codes. To help answer questions specific to building permits, please contact Cheney City Hall at 542-3622. 

Frequently Asked Questions:

What are the setback requirements?
Setbacks are measured from the property line.
Side yard- 6’               Front yard- 25’            Alley- 3’ Alley with no opening on building- 8’
Street side yard (2nd frontage)- 15’                 Back yard- 20’

How do I get utility lines located on my property?
Before you dig, call 811 to have underground utilities located, free of charge. Allow 2-3 days before beginning your project.

Can I build a permanent structure in the utility easement?
No, you may not.                          

Can I have garage or carport in my back yard with access from the alley?
Yes, structures with drive access from the alley must be placed 8’ from inside the back property line and meet side yard setbacks.

Do I need a permit for a small storage or garden shed?
Yes, any detached residential structure requires a City of Cheney building permit. This includes car ports or any structure being set or constructed on your property.

Do I need a permit to install a manufactured home in Sedgwick County?
Yes.  A permit and inspection are required.  Permit fee is $65.00. A copy of the manufactured home title must be submitted with the permit application. The installer must be license. Manufactured homes must be newer than June 15, 1976.

How are new residential building permits determined?
Building permits are figured at $.38 for each square foot of finished space and $.30 for each square foot of unfinished space.


Do I need a permit to replace my furnace or water heater?
Yes, a permit is required, and an inspection is performed to ensure the safety of the installation.

Do I need a permit for a new roof?
Yes, roofing permits are required and permit fees are figured at $.05 per sq. ft. based upon structure footprint. Min.- $50 and Max.- $1500.

Do I need a permit for new or replacement siding?
Yes, siding requires a permit. Permit fees are based upon valuation.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

I would like to tear down a structure. Do I need a permit?
Yes, a demolition permit is $50.00. A demolition permit is required so the structure can be removed from your tax appraisal.

I am planning to cut the curb, tear out and replace my sidewalk or pour a new driveway. Do I need a permit?
Yes, permits may be obtained at Cheney City Hall. Permit fees is $15.

Can I tear out a sidewalk on my property?
Replacement of a sidewalk is required if it is removed.

I am installing a water well. Do I need a permit?
Yes, water well permits are $100. Water wells may not be located in the front yard of a property.

Do I need a permit to add a sprinkler system to my yard?
Yes, the permit may be obtained at City Hall and the fee is $50.00 for residential properties and $75 for commercial.

I am going to put a bedroom in the basement.  Do I need an escape window?
Yes, the code requires an egress out of every bedroom for your safety.

All emergency escape and rescue openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 4.5 square feet with the window in an open position.

The minimum net clear opening height shall be 19¾ inches for single, double hung and awning style windows. For all other types of windows the minimum height shall be determined by multiplying the width times the height to achieve a total net clear opening of 4.5 square feet.

The minimum net clear opening width shall be 17 inches in the open position for casements and slider windows, or 30¼ inches for single and double hung units.

Can I do a lot split on my property?
Lot splits require a permit with the City of Cheney. Permit fee is $50.

Does a fence require a permit?
Yes, the permit fee is $30 and can be obtained at City Hall. Please bring a sketch of where you plan to construct your fence on  your property. Fences may be constructed on the property line. If possible, do not enclose your gas meter inside the fence. If the fence encloses the gas meter into the yard, an unlocked gate must be available so a meter reader can easily access your meter.

I would like to add a fence to my property. What are the requirements?

Fencing requirements can be found in Chapter 22 of the City Zoning Code. 

Does a pool require a permit?
Yes, in-ground pools require a permit. The permit is based on the valuation of the project. In ground swimming pools cannot be closer than 6’ to the property line.

Does a pool require a fence?
Additional information can be found in Chapter 22 Section Q of the City's Zoning Code. 
An outdoor swimming pool, including an in-ground, above ground or on-ground pool, hot tub or spa shall be surrounded by a barrier which shall comply with the following:

  1. The top of the barrier shall be at least 48 inches above grade measured on the side of the barriers, which face away from the structure/area.
  2. Openings in the barrier shall not allow passage of a 4-inch-diameter sphere.
  3. Solid barriers which do not have openings, such as a masonry or stone wall, shall not contain indentations or protrusions except for normal construction tolerances and tooled masonry joints.
  4. The horizontal members of the composed barrier shall be located on the swimming pool side of the fence.
  5. Pedestrian access gates shall open outward away from the pool and shall be self-closing and have a self-latching device. Where the release mechanism of the self-latching device is located less than 54 inches from the bottom of the gate, the release mechanism and openings shall comply with the following:
    1. The release mechanism shall be located on the pool side of the gate at least 3 inches below the top of the gate and the gate and barriers shall have no opening larger than ½ inch within 18 inches of the release mechanism.
  6. Where a wall of a dwelling serves as part of the barrier, one of the following conditions shall be met:
    1. The pool shall be equipped with a powered safety cover.
    2. Doors with direct access to the pool through that wall shall be equipped with an alarm which produces an audible warning when the door and/or its screen, if present, are opened.
    3. Other means of protection, such as self-closing doors with self latching devices, which are approved by the governing body, shall be acceptable.
  7. Where an above-ground pool structure is used as a barrier or where the barrier is mounted on top of the pool structure, and the means of access is ladder or steps:
    1. The ladder or steps shall be capable of being secure, locked or removed to prevent access; or
    2. The ladder or steps shall be surrounded by a barrier which meets the requirements.
  8. If a fence is selected as the enclosure around the pool area, said fence shall be a minimum of four (4) feet in height and a maximum of six (6) feet in height. 

*****The City of Cheney is currently reviewing their fence code and there is a moratorium placed on the building of fences unless approved by the City Administrator. Please contact 316-542-3622 before building a fence.*********
For a pdf printable click here.