Burn Permit Application-

The below application is for a Sedgwick County Burn Permit ONLY.

Click here to apply for an online Kingman County Burn Permit.

Please complete all fields, read the requirements and acknowledgement and affirmation below then click the submit button at the bottom of this page. A Burn Permit will automatically be e-mailed to you for you to print for your records. The person conducting the burn must be in possession of the permit during the burn. This permit applies to all unincorporated areas of Cheney Fire Department only.

Permits are now available online or by visiting Cheney City Hall at 131 N Main Cheney, KS.

Permits for open burning (brush) and agricultural (crops) are free of charge.

Permits are required before burning materials on your property.

Permits are required for each address where burning occurs.

Permits will be valid through the end of the current year.

Permits expire at 11:59 p.m. on December 31.

Before Burning Call 542-3155 Cheney Fire Department (evenings & weekends)

542-3622 Cheney City Hall (8 am to 5 pm weekdays)

Permit loading. Will display when ready.


The following conditions apply to all burns:

  1. Your burn must be attended until fire is completely extinguished

  2. Permit is to be kept on site while burning (Kansas State Law)

  3. The wind speed is not to exceed 15 mph (Kansas State Law)

  4. A fire break of 50 feet is present around entire burn.

  5. The Fire Chief or his designated representative has the authority to revoke or cancel this permit and can require burn to be extinguished.

It is the responsibility of the owner/agent to be in control of the burn at all times.

This permit does not relieve the owner/agent from liabilities association with the controlled burn, nor does it shift the liability to the Cheney Fire Department.

By accepting this permit, I agree to abide by the following requirements:

  1. The applicant is in legal control of the lot or parcel of land as herin described.

  2. Burning will be attended continuously by a competent person of lega age, from the time of ignition to the time of extinguishment.

  3. Burning will not be permitted if the wind speed exceeds 15 miles per hour.

  4. FOR FIELD TYPE FIRES; a firebreak (plower or disced) of at least 50 feet on all sides of the area to be burned shall be provided.

  5. FOR NON-FIELD TYPE FIRES: adequate clearance shall be provided from readily combustible materials (example: grass to be mowed) with materials(s) to be burned located at a minimum of 100 feet from any structure and 10 feet from any property line.

  6. Burning of ANY HEAVY smoke-producing material is strictly prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: rubber tires, plastics, roofing, tar paper, old furniture, garbage, cloth, or any petroleum based product.

  7. A garden hose or other fire extinguishing equipment shall be available at the burn site.

  8. Burning shall be conducted one hour after sunrise to one hour before sunset (except agricultural and other specially approved times).

  9. This permit will be in the possession of the person performing the burning for immediate inspection.


Removal of stubble remaining from crops after harvest or from crops rendered useless due to the destruction caused by severe weather or the infestation of insects or disease.

Removal of brush and tree trimmings and any other vegetative materials when done to control invasions of hedgerow brush on crop lands (example: trimming the hedgerow brush between farm fields).

Removal of hedgerow brush for land clearing operations.

Removal of tree trimmings from commercial orchards.


Burning of combustible waste material from residential or commercial projects from the permit location.

Burning brush and tree trimmings on residential or commercial property from the permit location.

Burning that is considered necessary and in the public’s interest as determined on a case-by-case basis (road clearings, salvage operation, structures, etc.)

Burning of cut trees, vegetation or lumber for recreational enjoyment commonly known as a ‘bonfire’.

It is mandatory that the permit holder call the Cheney Fire Department or Cheney City Hall by telephone prior to conducting a permitted burn, notifying them of location and permit number. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to check current weather conditions for wind speeds and other atmospheric conditions. Kansas Law states that open burning shall not be conducted during inclement weather, i.e. rainy conditions, fog, snow, or low cloud cover.

Acknowledgement and Affirmation

By submitting this online application I do hereby make application for a permit to conduct a burning operation in Cheney Fire District.

I understand that the Fire Chief or his designated representative has the authority to revoke or cancel this permit and can require extinguishment of the burn. I hereby absolve Cheney Fire District from any responsibility from damage which may be caused to any person or to property by reason of the permitted burn, arising from any act or acts of myself, my agents, employees, or subcontractors and shall release and forever discharge, and shall save and hold harmless, Cheney Fire District, and the Cheney City Council of Cheney, Kansas and their agents and employees; administrators, successors, contractors, sub-contractors, and officers from each and every right and claim which I may hereafter have on account of damages to my (or the property owners) property or any other persons property resulting from any incident, occurrence or activity arising from the permitted burn and from liability of any nature or kind connected with the permitted burn, operations or work performed hereunder arising out of any negligent or willful act or omission of any person/entity or of any employee or agent of that person/entity to the degree such indemnification is allowed by law. I hereby affirm that the information I have provided is true and correct.

I have read the burn permit requirements of this application. I agree to comply with all rules, regulations and requirements of Cheney Fire District and the State of Kansas.